- 2 pounds (32 oz.) precooked chow mein like noodles (I have a picture of the kind I used below and watch out for non-vegan ingredients)
- 1.5 cups cauliflower, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1.5 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
* You can add/ substitute whatever vegetables you like... this is what I had on hand*
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
- 1/2 cup Braggs or low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp crushed red peppers (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp white sugar (make sure it's vegan)
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
Prepare all your veggies, set aside.
Make your sauce. First mix together corn starch and water until smooth, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients and mix, set aside.
Add a half a cup of water to a big pan/pot/wok (I used my huge new wok!) to cook your veggies sans the oil. I cooked the cauliflower for a couple minutes. Next, added the asparagus, bell pepper, and onion and cooked for a few more minutes. Finally, I added the carrots, cabbage, and chow mein like noodles.
*I bought my chow mein like noodles in the refrigerated section of an Asian grocery store, they came in a plastic bag compacted into a big "wad" of noodles. If you cook your own chow mein noodles, make sure to cool them completely before using them in this dish*
Once noodles are in the pan separate them with your spatula/cooking utensil. Once noodles are separated, mix your sauce up again really quickly and add it to the pan. Mix the chow mein around until all your noodles and veggies are coated and heated through.
Makes: 6-ish servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes