Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Roasting Veggies

Believe it or not, I had never had a roasted vegetable until going vegan, which probably explains why I despised so many veggies before... I'm talking to you brussels sprouts and asparagus... Now I always roast my veggies, it's the best way to eat them! I prefer to save on fat by coating my veggies in cooking spray instead of using oil.

A cookbook I own, called Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven, has a few pages (96-99) dedicated to veggie roasting times and temperatures for veggies of all types... So I am sharing a few of my favorites with you!

Zucchini or Summer Squash (sliced down the middle, lengthwise):
375 F for 20 minutes

Asparagus or Mushrooms (whole):
400 F for 5 to 10 minutes (you want asparagus to be tender crisp not mushy!)

Cauliflower (florets) , Broccoli (2 inch chunks, stems peeled), or Brussels Sprouts (small ones whole, larger ones cut in half lengthwise)
:
375 F cauliflower 15 minutes, broccoli 20 to 25 minutes, brussels sprouts 15 to 20 minutes (do not let them get mushy!)

Carrots (2 inches long)
:
375 F for 30 minutes

Coat all the veggies listed above with cooking spray and your favorite seasonings before roasting them... My all time favorite vegetable seasoning is Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning!

No comments: