Monday, March 8, 2010

Beginners Curry

So my step mom made some amazing curry the other night and I decided I must try to make my own! She gave me a list of ingredients she used but no measurements for anything. Some ingredients I actually measured out and the rest were to taste. Here's what I used:

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- Olive oil
- 1/2 of a small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a block of tofu cut into small cubes (don't bother pressing the water out too much)
- 1/2 a tub of mushrooms, quartered (4 oz total I believe)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Braggs or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp thai red curry paste
- Cumin, ground coriander, ground pepper, and sea salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for topping your curry
- Rice for serving

DIRECTIONS:
Warning: I am not a professional... I just threw this together and it turned out great! I added kale to this creation but wouldn't really recommend it so I left it out of the ingredient list... Spinach would have been a better addition.

- Have veggies and tofu chopped and ready to go.
- Heat oil in a fry pan, add garlic, ginger, and fennel seed, cook for a minute.
- Add red bell pepper, cauliflower, and onions. Cook until onions are softened.
- Add tofu, mushrooms, coconut milk, Braggs/ soy sauce, brown sugar, and curry paste. Stir around until curry paste has dissolved.
- Add the additional spices to taste and cook until heated through and all veggies are cooked.
- Place curry on top of some rice and garnish with fresh cilantro... Yum :)

Makes: 3 to 4 servings (with rice)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

2 comments:

Stella said...

Oh, but you are a professional-especially in the realm of vegan stuff, Amy. I've noticed you on vegweb for years now, no? I think you don't give yourself enough credit.
By the way, those mushrooms glistening with curry look awesome!

Oh, and I looked through my readings on Kombucha. There were no real 'instructions'-mostly health information on the finished product. I look forward to learning from you though, as I might try brewing some soon...

amymylove said...

I have only been vegan since April so I'm not the best at cooking yet, but I am definitely learning as I go! Thank you for all your nice comments :)

As far as kombucha goes, I ordered a scoby off of happyherbalist.com instead of growing my own. So as soon as I receive it I'll start brewing!