Friday, March 26, 2010

El Torito Style Sweet Corn Cake


This is soooo easy! I just veganized the recipe on the back of the El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Mix package, which didn't require much effort. I only had to substitute regular butter for vegan butter (I used Earth Balance stick butter for easy measuring). Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
- 7.4 oz package El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Mix
- 15 oz can cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl combine corn cake mix, melted butter, water, and cream-style corn. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Mine took about 55 minutes but my oven is lame.
- Use an ice cream scoop to serve the sweet corn cake as a side dish or for dessert.

3 comments:

Stella said...

Ooh, Amy this sounds good-like a corn pudding, no? I bet this could be kind of savory too with peppers and such. Hey, I hope I'm not crossing any bounds here, as I know people are sensitive about food and diet. But be careful with non-organic corn products. They may be vegan, but they're not good for you/me/us (smile)!

amymylove said...

I liked the corn cake as is but I'm sure the bell peppers wouldn't hurt :)

Also, very true Stella about the corn... Corn is one of the main GMO crops (along with soybeans) so organic would be the way to go for sure!

I watched a really good documentary about Monsanto and the dangers of GMO crops called "The World According to Monsanto". You should watch it if you haven't already, you can find it on YouTube.

Stella said...

No, I haven't watched it. I will look for it though-I hate what companies like Monsanto are doing to our food supply. It seems so innately wrong to me...