Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Trader Joe's Frozen Fried Rice & Quinoa Mixes + Seitan Stirfry!

Wow. So making a flavorful side dish just became easier and guilt free too! Trader Joe's sells some amazing frozen grain mixes that are low in fat, calories, AND SODIUM! Gosh, I swear anything you buy prepackaged these days has like half your daily serving of sodium in 1 baby-sized portion! So these are a lifesaver. I always add extra stuff to them to make them full of both veggies and flavor.

First off, here is the Vegetable Fried Rice


I added about a cup of frozen veggies (A mix of peas, carrots, and corn) as well as some diced white and green onions. Fried it up in a a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Then added 2 tablespoons chili paste and 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce. I cooked it until you could hardly see any of the sauce left in the pan.

I had this rice with some leftover Teriyaki Tofu with Cornstarch Coating.


Tonight, I cooked up another grain mix, Quinoa Duo with Vegetable Melange. It kind of has a Middle Eastern flavor though it said "Product of France" on the bag so, I dunno.


I cooked this in a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Added a big handful of chopped kale, half a can of garbanzos, a big handful of julienned carrots, and a spoonful of chili paste.



And, since I made a batch of my Crock-Pot Seitan over the weekend, I decided to make a stirfry to go along with the Quinoa.

I sliced up maybe 3 cups of seitan and fried it up in a few tablespoons of olive oil until it started to turn golden. Then I added some broccoli to the pan. Then I added some eggplant a few minutes later along with about 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Soyaki Sauce (Soy Vay brand tastes the same too) and 1/4 cup mirin. I cooked everything until most of the liquid was absorbed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks delicious!! I wish we had a Trader Joe's close to us :(

Jena said...

Yum! I love Trader Joe's too! I've tried the fried rice and the quinoa and both are delish!