This time around I had a brand new bottle of Teryaki Sauce from Trader Joe's so I decided to put it to good use for this recipe. Just to let you know at this point in time I have hardly any fresh veggies in my house. Your favorite fresh veggies added towards the end of frying the tofu would be awesome in this dish. Think asparagus, zucchini, red bell pepper, broccoli, green onions, etc.
Ingredients:- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu*, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 5 tablespoons Water
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 8 ounces Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 cup Carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki Sauce: Soy Vay or Trader Joe's brand taste identical
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon Water
* I used tofu that had been frozen and thawed to produce a more "meaty" texture
- Cut drained and pressed tofu into cubes.
- Coat with Ener-G and water mixture.
- Take your 1/2 cup of cornstarch and put half of it in the bottom of a gallon sized ziploc bag. Add coated tofu and then the other half of the cornstarch on top. Shake for a minute until the tofu looks evenly coated with the cornstarch.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add tofu and fry until golden on all sides.
- While tofu is frying quickly make your sauce by mixing together teryaki sauce and cornstarch mixed with water.
- Add frozen broccoli florets and let them cook for a minute.
- Add teriyaki sauce mixture, it should thicken in a minute or two.
- Once sauce begins to thicken add julienned carrots. Mix around for a minute and serve.