Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Teriyaki "Beef"


This dish is super easy-peasy... Made it in like 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
- 3 cups Seitan, cut into chunks (Store bought or My Go-To Recipe)
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 4 big handfuls fresh broccoli florets
- Half a container (4 oz.) of Mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Oil for frying
Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Soyaki Teriyaki Sauce or Soy Vay Veri Veri Teryaki Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon Water

Directions:
- Place seitan chunks in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Add the 1/4 cup of cornstarch, close the bag, and shake for a minute until seitan chunks are more evenly coated.
- Add about a tablespoon of oil to a large heated fry-pan or wok. Add coated seitan and fry up till the seitan turns golden.
- Meanwhile, mix together the 1 tablespoon of both cornstarch and water and add it to the 1/2 cup of teryaki sauce and mix it up.
- Add broccoli to the pan with a bit more oil if needed. Once the broccoli is bright green and beginning to de-crisp add the sauce and mushrooms.
- Cook a few more minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked to your liking. The sauce will thicken really fast because of the added cornstarch so that will be the least of your concerns.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with rice.

2 comments:

Cherizac said...

Sounds fabulous! My first attempt at seitan didn't come out well, I think; it's very rubbery. I've watched a few videos since, and my seitan looks more rubbery, less stretchy than in the videos. Any advice? And maybe my crockpot is too hot, and it needs less time? It's so hard when I haven't ever seen "normal" seitan in real life. Need to find a vegan buddy around here!

amymylove said...

Okay... You need to cook it longer in the crock probably next time. Also how many "steaks" did you get out of the recipe? I get usually 6 to 8.

I also strongly suggest coating the seitan with a bit of cornstarch like a few of recipes I posted show... If you're worried about fat and calories you could "fry up" the seitan coated with cornstarch with some cooking spray. Once golden add some of your favorite veggies and sauce.

I have experienced the whole "rubbery" thing though... Just fry it and I don't think it will be as rubbery!

Also, as a new vegan don't try to think it is "Beef"... It is a new and healthy vegan substitution that "usually" fabulously replaces beef...

I hadn't tried seitan though until after about 8 months of being vegan, your tastes will change if you stick to it. I have accidentally eaten dairy and I can taste the "sourness" right away now. Gross.

But I still despise tempeh... I can only do tofu and seitan.