Monday, July 19, 2010

Vegan Sushi with Baked Teriyaki Tofu


Last night I threw a block of tofu in my Tofu Press so that I would have perfectly pressed tofu today. This morning I decided I wanted to make vegan sushi for lunch and what better to go in vegan sushi than baked tofu? Nothing. Especially Teriyaki flavored baked tofu! This is only my second time baking tofu and this time it turned out perfect, I think I might be baking tofu more often now!

Teriyaki Baked Tofu:
- Press tofu, preferably in a tofu press
- Marinate tofu in about 1/4 cup TJ's Soyaki or Soy Vay Teryaki Sauce for an hour, preferably in your Tofu Press with its handy marinating lid!
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Take tofu out of marinade and cut tofu in 1/4 inch slabs
- Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray and place tofu slabs in the dish. Top tofu with any remaining marinade
- Bake for an hour, flipping tofu over after 30 minutes.
- Allow cooked tofu to cool a bit and it will stiffen up and get that wonderful baked tofu texture!
***I cut these slabs in half for sushi making***


My vegan sushi consisted of:
~ Pickled Daikon Radish (It's yellow and comes refrigerated you can find it at an Asian grocery store)
~ Avocado
~ Pickled Carrots (Carrots left to sit in a mixture of water and rice vinegar for at least an hour)
~ Cucumber
~ Teriyaki Baked Tofu

No comments: