Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sweet Spicy Savory Seitan & A Bizarre Pizza

So I have hardly any food in my house right now (As you will see when you read what I put on my pizza) but I am making due with the few things I have.

I made a batch of Crock-Pot Seitan yesterday and made some a really yummy stirfry tonight!

Sweet Spicy Savory Seitan

Ingredients:
1/3 a batch of Crock-Pot Seitan (About 4 cups)
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1.5 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup Vegetarian Stirfry Sauce
1/4 cup Mirin (Sweet Japanese Cooking Wine)
1/2 a bag of frozen Broccoli Florets (8 oz)
A few tablespoons of Oil for frying

Directions:
Cut seitan into thin strips.

Put seitan into a big ziploc bag, add cornstarch and shake the bag around until the seitan is coated with the cornstarch. Reuse your ziploc bags: Wash them out with dish soap and water so you can use them again!

Put a few tablespoons of oil in a wok, once the oil is hot add the coated seitan and the red pepper flakes. Fry the seitan until golden in both sides.

While the seitan is frying, mix together the mirin and vegetarian stirfry sauce. Set aside.

Once the seitan is golden on both sides, add the frozen broccoli. Once the broccoli get's defrosted in the pan, add the mirin/ vegetarian stirfry sauce mixture.

Mix around until the seitan and broccoli are hot and evenly coated.

I served mine with some a variation of my Sweet & Spicy Fried Rice 


Now for my Bizarre Pizza:

I made my own pizza crust using This Recipe with the "butter" variation (It is so fast and easy) and added some black olives, artichoke hearts, canned mushrooms, pickled jalapenos, fresh corn kernels, Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom pasta sauce, and some vegan American cheeze slices. I usually don't do the vegan cheeze but since I added the corn I figured my pizza would be way too messy without something holding the ingredients to the crust. I served my pizza with some Vegan Ranch for dipping, it was way better than I expected. And FYI, when using vegan cheezes you generally need to broil the pizza for a little bit to get the cheeze to melt... Don't take your eyes of your broiling pizza though or it might get burnt!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

tho combination of things on your pizza made me smile : )

Stella said...

Yummy Smurf!
Hope your'e doing well, my vegan lovely (smile).

amymylove said...

Yes Stella doing great! I have been really enjoying all the goodies you have been posting lately and I love that most of your posts are vegan <3

Stella said...

Hey Amy, phew, I am trying. It's hard sometimes. I suppose I don't have the will power you do (not yet). I'm really trying to be at least more vegan for many reasons. I'm thinking about starting some kind of vegan cuisine campaign on my blog-we'll see.

amymylove said...

That would be awesome Stella!