Saturday, May 8, 2010

Elotes (Corn+Mayo+Chili)


 

My Mexican Lover introduced me to this simple and amazing concept: Corn on the cob + Mayo + Chili. I thought it sounded bizarre at first but one bite made me fall in love <3

Now as a vegan, I can still make Elotes. I just substitute mayo for Vegenaise!

I don't have a barbecue for roasting my corn but I found out you can make corn on the cob in both the oven and microwave! I have tried both methods with the same great results.

Ingredients:
- 1 piece of corn in it's husk
- Vegan mayo
- Pico de Gallo seasoning

Directions:
For the oven:
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Once oven is heated, place corn husk right on the rack and roast for 30 minutes, flip over after 15 minutes

For the microwave:
- Place corn in it's husk on a microwave safe plate
- Microwave for 4 minutes flip over after 2 minutes

The following steps are the same for wither cooking method:
- Peel husk off the corn with baking mitts
- Slice the end of the corn off
- Stick a corn holder into the base of the corn
- Slather on some vegan mayo and sprinkle with Pico de Gallo seasoning
- Eat!

Or if your like me, I hate having corn stuck in my teeth, so I just cut the corn off the cob with a knife and enjoy it that way.

I ate 2 of these for lunch today... Yummy!

No comments: