Monday, August 16, 2010

Viva Vegan's Red Chile-Seitan and Black Bean-Sweet Potato Tamales


Last weekend I spent almost all Sunday making a BOATLOAD of tamales from my Viva Vegan cookbook. The picture above is only half of what I actually made! I made 2 batches each of both Red Chile-Seitan and Black Bean-Sweet Potato Tamales which should have produced 96 tamales (2 dozen per batch) I got about maybe 75 to 80 which is still a ton. All this hard work paid off however, as I have had easy meals and lunches all week and have had plenty of tamales to share with curious coworkers.


 

I have to say I love the Red Chile-Seitan tamales the most, Red Seitan + Red Chile Sauce + thinly sliced red bell peppers and onions.



The Black Bean-Sweet Potato Tamales were also good but I ended up stuffing the majority of the tamales with mainly black beans as there was definitely not enough sweet potatoes to go around. Next time, I might halve the amount of black beans and double the amount of sweet potatoes.

3 comments:

Vegan Aide said...

That looks great, Amy! Nice Tamales. You're right, they are a lot of work but very rewarding.

amymylove said...

So true! I can't wait to see what you make out of Viva Vegan :)

Jess from VW said...

Oh my god.. I may just have to buy this cookbook.