Thursday, May 6, 2010

Vegan Hot Dogs + Strawberry Ice Cream


So I finally found some vegan hot dog buns made by Oroweat. They had been right in front of my nose the whole time! I was just too lazy to research some of the questionable ingredients (You know the ones that can be plant or animal derived). So my vegan homie, Natasha, called the company to ask and they assured her those ingredients were in fact plant derived. Score! I got hamburger buns and potato bread too!

So far I'm not a fan of vegan hot dogs, the ones I have tried have had a funky flavor to them, so I used my all time favorite Tofurkey Italian Sausages! Next time I might try one of the other flavors they offer but these, being my favorite vegan sausage so far, were obviously good.

Edit: I actually recommend that if you use vegan sausages instead of hot dogs use only 2 instead of 4 and slice them in half lengthwise because they're pretty huge or maybe my mouth is too small because I could hardly get it around this enormous thing! Cut in half was perfect.

Ingredients:                                     
- 4 vegan sausages/ hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 a bell pepper, sliced
- Oil for frying
Toppings:
- Sauerkraut
- Mustard
- Mayo
- Ketchup

Directions:
Fry up sausages in a little oil. Once they begin to brown a bit on both sides add onions and bell peppers. Cook about 5 more minutes until onions and bell peppers are browned a bit and soft. Place sausage/ hot dog on bun (I nuked mine for 30 seconds), add bell peppers, onions, and toppings. Eat! I served mine with vegan baked beans and sweet potato fries.

I made some Strawberry Ice Cream for dessert and topped it with chocolate syrup :)

No comments: